Monday, July 13, 2015

paper napkin background

Hello! 
It's Tutorial Monday and today I am sharing how I made the background for my card. 
Here it is completed...


I used a butterfly from SNSS's New Creature and the words are from Our Refuge.  I also used one of the coordinating New Creature butterfly dies.
 
My background was made with a pretty paper napkin that I've had left over from some occasion for quite a few years.  I guess they were too pretty to throw away!
 
First, open the napkin.  You can get quite a bit of use from just one.  For this project, I made 4 backgrounds from 1 napkin.


As you can see the edges were a bit worn but that's ok...I discarded the edges and just used the center from this one anyway.
 
Next, grab a corner and gently peel off the top layer.  Discard the un-printed layer underneath.


Now cut a piece of scrap cardstock the size of the background you want.  You can cover it with double-sided adhesive but I prefer to just add Elmer's glue and then spread it with my finger until the entire piece is covered.  Using the liquid glue gives it more of a linen look.


Make sure your edges are covered with glue and then lay your napkin on top.  Pat it down and let it dry completely.  Then trim the extra napkin from the cardstock layer and adhere to your card base.


I stamped the sentiment on a strip of vellum and wrapped it around the floral background, adhering each side of the vellum to the back.  Then I stamped, diecut, and sponged ink onto the butterfly.  Clear Wink of Stella made the butterfly sparkly.  Add a few rhinestones and you are done!


Have a great week!
♥  Diane


3 comments:

Jenny said...

Love a new to me technique Diane! Pinning to try soon - such a lovely card!

CherylQuilts said...

What a beautiful card, Diane, and I love this technique. I remember it from years ago, but now you've piqued my interest again after seeing so many beautiful paper napkins! And these sets work so beautifully! (Now I just need some pretty napkins...haha!) Thanks for sharing! Hugs!

Korin said...

How pretty! I had no idea you used a napkin for this lovely background!